Monday, December 2, 2013

That Time I Applied for a Credit Card in order to Buy Groceries...

Yeah, that time was last Friday.

Financially, November was a complete disaster.

I don’t know why we fell off the bill paying wagon quite so far this time. I am a budgeter through and through. Every four months, I assess how we’re going to make my fiancé’s check and the financial aid money stretch until next payout. Usually, I can make it work just fine. No, I generally can’t afford new clothes or you know, fun things, but the necessities and bills get paid. Such is the life of a student.

But I’m not a student anymore. I’m the unemployed. I’m the unemployed who has applied to well over one hundred jobs and haven’t gotten anything. 

I did start an editing job, but at the moment that’s unpaid. Freelancing is, well, freelancing. I write fluff pieces that don’t make much money and definitely can’t pay any of my bills. But, I stick with it because it’s something, and maybe it’ll lead to something else.

That being said, when I sat down with the budget four months ago, I wasn’t prepared for a debt collector from my fiancés past to come crawling out of the woodwork demanding their money. And they wanted it now. So, a whole months worth of bill money disappeared.

Be wary, people. The mistakes you make as a teenager do catch up with you eventually. 

With $26 for two weeks, it was either not pay the car payment (which I’d already deferred for a month) or apply for a credit card and hope for the best.

Luckily, I got approved and we can eat for the next two weeks, but I’ve never cut it this close. 

We’ve tried trading in the car to save on car payments, but no matter what we did, the alternatives were always more. We’ve tried looking for a new, cheaper apartment, but we’re already living at the bottom of that barrel.


Life is tough at the moment, but I’m now applying for temp positions and the next big check comes in a month. I can stick it out until then. God has always provided me a way.  I have faith I’ll find it. 

2 comments:

  1. I wish you the best. I had panic attacks when I first graduated, but was lucky enough to find something before my deferment ended. I can't even imagine what you must be going through.

    It sounds like you majored in something having to do with writing, which is just like me (I majored in Journalism and International Studies). If there's any advice I can give you, I can try and answer your questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. December is always tough on us. Seems money is always the tightest. But, we endure. I majored in English, but writing is my goal. Creative writing to be specific, but that doesn't exactly pay the bills yet.

      Delete