Thursday, January 16, 2014

Books of Influence Part II

I said I was going to do a series of these posts back in November to detract from my NaNo-absence and then NaNo took over.

So, I’m continuing it now.

My first book, "Frankenstein," influenced me because of the story’s complexity

These next books influence me by being great resources for ‘the seeds of writing,’ so to speak.

As a writer, if you haven’t heard of Natalie Goldberg, than you should get on that. I’ve read two of her books so far, “Writing Down the Bones” and “Old Friend from Far Away.” I guess this is a two for one deal, because both books are well worth the read and have impacted my own writing.



“Writing Down the Bones” gives you an amazing analysis of the writing life and different ways to cultivate a functional relationship with writing. It breaks down everything from getting started, writing habits, writer’s blocks, idea to page, etc. This is probably my favorite writing craft book and one I reference often.



“Old Friend from Far Away” is a book on writing memoirs that’s also a treasure trove for writing prompts that can be used for both fiction and nonfiction. The first short story I ever got published came out of my free writing from one of her prompts. 

Bottom line, if you’re a writer give these books a shot.


0 comments:

Post a Comment